Top 50 HR, Behavioral & Technical Interview Questions for Freshers
Preparing for your first job interview can feel difficult because you may not know what recruiters are going to ask.
For freshers, interviews often cover a combination of personal questions, behavioral situations, basic technical concepts and questions related to projects or academic experience.
The good news is that you don't need to memorize a perfect answer for every possible question.
Instead, prepare a clear way to explain your background, understand the fundamentals related to your target role and practice answering questions using your own experiences.
This guide contains 50 common interview questions for freshers, along with practical guidance on how to approach each question.
Important: The sample answers in this guide are examples of structure and approach. Do not memorize them word-for-word. Replace the examples with your own education, projects, skills and experiences.
Part 1: Common HR Interview Questions
1. Tell me about yourself.
This is usually one of the first questions in an interview.
Keep your answer focused on information relevant to the job.
A simple structure is:
Present → Education → Relevant Skills/Projects → Career Goal
Example approach:
“I recently completed my degree in Computer Science. During college, I worked on projects involving Java and SQL and also spent time improving my programming and problem-solving skills. I am now looking for an entry-level opportunity where I can apply what I have learned and continue developing my technical skills.”
Don't turn this into your complete life story.
2. What are your strengths?
Choose two or three strengths that are relevant to the role.
Possible examples include:
- Problem solving
- Learning quickly
- Communication
- Teamwork
- Attention to detail
- Time management
- Logical thinking
Example:
“One of my strengths is that I like breaking larger problems into smaller steps. I also try to understand the reason behind a problem instead of immediately looking for a solution. This approach has helped me while working on academic projects.”
The best answer is one you can support with a real example.
3. What is your biggest weakness?
Avoid giving a fake strength as your weakness.
Instead, mention a genuine area you are improving and explain what you are doing about it.
Example:
“Earlier, I sometimes spent too much time trying to make small parts of a project perfect. I have been improving this by setting priorities and completing the most important tasks first.”
The purpose is not to prove that you have no weaknesses.
It is to show self-awareness and willingness to improve.
4. Why do you want to join our company?
Research the company before answering this question.
You can discuss:
- The company's products or services
- The role you applied for
- Learning opportunities
- Technology used by the organization
- How the position fits your career goals
Example:
“I am interested in this role because it matches the skills I have been developing and gives me an opportunity to work in a professional environment. I also want to learn from experienced team members and understand how software is developed and maintained in a real organization.”
Avoid saying:
“Because your company is the best company.”
Make your answer specific to the company and position.
5. Where do you see yourself in five years?
Recruiters usually want to understand whether you have a realistic career direction.
You don't need to predict your exact job title.
Example:
“Over the next few years, I want to build strong technical fundamentals, gain practical experience and gradually take ownership of more complex work. I would like to become someone the team can rely on for both technical problem solving and collaboration.”
6. Why should we hire you?
Don't compare yourself aggressively with other candidates.
Instead, explain what you can bring to the role.
Example:
“I have a strong interest in this area and have developed relevant skills through my coursework and projects. I am comfortable learning new technologies, asking questions when I need clarification and working consistently toward completing tasks. I believe those qualities would help me contribute as I grow into the role.”
7. What was your favorite subject in college and why?
Choose a subject you genuinely understand.
For example:
- Data Structures
- Database Management
- Operating Systems
- Computer Networks
- Java
- Python
- Statistics
Example:
“Database Management was one of my favorite subjects because I enjoyed understanding how information is organized and retrieved. Working with SQL also gave me an opportunity to apply those concepts in projects.”
Be prepared for follow-up questions.
8. Are you willing to relocate or work in shifts?
Answer honestly.
If you are flexible, explain that clearly.
Example:
“Yes, I am open to relocating if the role requires it. Regarding shifts, I would like to understand the schedule and requirements of the position, but I am willing to consider the company's working arrangements.”
Don't promise flexibility that you cannot actually provide.
9. How do you handle stress and tight deadlines?
Explain your process rather than simply saying:
“I work well under pressure.”
Example:
“When I have multiple deadlines, I first list the tasks and identify which ones are most urgent. I then break larger tasks into smaller steps and track my progress. If I see that a deadline may be difficult to meet, I communicate the issue early rather than waiting until the last moment.”
10. What are your salary expectations?
For freshers, it is reasonable to focus on the opportunity while remaining open to the employer's compensation structure.
Example:
“As a fresher, my priority is finding a role where I can learn, contribute and build relevant experience. I am open to discussing compensation according to the company's structure for this position.”
If the employer has already published a salary range, you can discuss that range directly.
Part 2: Behavioral & Situational Interview Questions
How to Use the STAR Method
The STAR method is one way to organize answers to behavioral questions.
S — Situation
Explain the context.
T — Task
Explain what you needed to accomplish.
A — Action
Explain what you personally did.
R — Result
Explain the outcome.
The result does not always need to be a percentage or a large number.
It can simply explain what happened after your actions.
Tip: Use genuine examples from college projects, internships, group assignments, competitions, volunteering or other relevant experiences.
11. Describe a time you faced a major technical challenge.
Choose a real problem from a project.
Explain:
- What went wrong
- How you investigated it
- What you changed
- What you learned
Example structure:
Situation: Our project was experiencing slow responses for certain operations.
Task: I needed to understand where the problem was occurring.
Action: I reviewed the relevant code and database queries and discussed the issue with my teammates.
Result: We identified the problem and improved the implementation. I also learned the importance of testing performance instead of assuming that code will work efficiently.
12. Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a team member.
Don't criticize the other person.
Focus on communication and solving the problem.
Example:
“During a group project, a teammate and I had different ideas about how to implement one feature. Instead of continuing the disagreement, we discussed the advantages and limitations of both approaches and compared them with the project requirements. We eventually selected the approach that best fit the deadline and technical requirements.”
13. Give an example of a mistake you made.
Choose a genuine but manageable mistake.
Explain what you learned.
Example:
“During a project, I once made a change without checking how it would affect another part of the application. We discovered the issue during testing. I corrected the change and learned to test related functionality after modifying shared components.”
Avoid presenting yourself as someone who never makes mistakes.
14. Describe a situation where you had to learn something quickly.
Choose a technology or concept you actually learned.
Example:
“During one project, I needed to work with a technology I had not used before. I started with the official documentation, followed a few basic examples and then created a small test implementation before adding it to the main project. This helped me learn the fundamentals without changing the main project too early.”
15. How do you respond to critical feedback?
Show that you can listen without becoming defensive.
Example:
“I try to understand the specific issue behind the feedback first. If it is related to my technical work, I review the problem and ask questions if something is unclear. Once I understand the feedback, I make the necessary changes and try to avoid repeating the same mistake.”
16. Describe a time you went above and beyond.
This doesn't have to be a dramatic achievement.
You can discuss something useful you did beyond the minimum requirement.
Example:
“While working on a group project, I noticed that new team members were having difficulty understanding the setup process. I documented the steps and added the information to our project documentation. It made it easier for the team to set up the project and reduced repeated questions.”
17. Have you ever worked with a difficult team member?
Focus on professionalism.
Example:
“Yes. In a group assignment, one team member was having difficulty completing their part on time. I first tried to understand whether they were facing a technical or scheduling problem. We divided the remaining work more clearly and agreed on smaller deadlines. This helped us keep the project moving without creating unnecessary conflict.”
18. Tell me about a time you had to make a decision without all the information.
Explain how you handled uncertainty.
Example:
“During a project, we had to choose between two approaches before we had complete information about their performance. I compared the available documentation, considered the project requirements and discussed the risks with my teammates. We selected the simpler option because it met the current requirements and could be changed later if necessary.”
19. How do you manage multiple assignments or deadlines?
Example:
“I first list all the tasks and their deadlines. Then I identify dependencies and prioritize the tasks that could affect other work. I break larger assignments into smaller milestones and review my progress regularly.”
20. Tell me about a time you failed to achieve a goal.
Choose something real and explain what changed afterward.
Example:
“During one semester, I underestimated how much time I needed to balance coursework and an extracurricular activity. I wasn't able to complete everything to the standard I wanted. After that, I started planning my academic deadlines earlier and became more selective about taking on additional commitments.”
The important part is the lesson, not the failure itself.
Part 3: Foundational Computer Science & Technical Questions
21. What is the difference between an array and a linked list?
Array
An array stores elements in an indexed structure and is useful when you need efficient access by position.
Linked List
A linked list stores elements in nodes where each node contains data and a reference to another node.
Simple comparison
| Feature | Array | Linked List |
|---|---|---|
| Access by index | Fast | Requires traversal |
| Memory arrangement | Typically contiguous | Nodes can be stored separately |
| Insertion/deletion | Can require shifting | Can be efficient when the position is known |
| Structure | Fixed-size in many basic implementations | Grows node by node |
The exact performance depends on the implementation and operation being considered.
22. What are time complexity and space complexity?
Time complexity describes how the running time of an algorithm grows as the input size increases.
Space complexity describes how the memory requirements of an algorithm grow with the input size.
Common Big-O examples include:
- O(1)
- O(log n)
- O(n)
- O(n log n)
- O(n²)
Example:
Searching through every element of an unsorted list can take O(n) time in the worst case.
23. What is the difference between linear search and binary search?
Linear Search
Checks elements one by one until the target is found or the collection ends.
Time complexity: O(n) in the worst case.
Binary Search
Repeatedly divides the search range into two parts.
It requires the data to be appropriately ordered.
Time complexity: O(log n) for a typical sorted array implementation.
24. What is the difference between a stack and a queue?
Stack
Uses LIFO — Last In, First Out.
The most recently added item is removed first.
Examples:
- Function call stack
- Undo operations
Queue
Uses FIFO — First In, First Out.
The earliest added item is removed first.
Examples:
- Print queues
- Task scheduling
25. What is the difference between TCP and UDP?
| Feature | TCP | UDP |
|---|---|---|
| Connection | Connection-oriented | Connectionless |
| Reliability | Provides mechanisms for reliable delivery | Does not provide TCP-style reliable delivery |
| Ordering | Provides ordered byte-stream delivery | No guarantee of ordered delivery |
| Overhead | Higher | Lower |
| Common uses | Web connections, file transfer and other reliable communication | DNS queries, streaming and applications where low overhead can be useful |
The right protocol depends on the requirements of the application.
26. What is the OSI model?
The OSI model describes network communication using seven conceptual layers.
- Physical — transmission of raw bits
- Data Link — communication between directly connected network nodes
- Network — addressing and routing
- Transport — end-to-end data delivery
- Session — managing communication sessions
- Presentation — data representation and related functions
- Application — network services used by applications
For interviews, don't just memorize the names. Understand what each layer is responsible for.
27. What is a deadlock in operating systems?
A deadlock occurs when processes are unable to continue because each is waiting for a resource or condition that prevents progress.
The four commonly discussed necessary conditions are:
- Mutual exclusion
- Hold and wait
- No preemption
- Circular wait
Understanding a simple example can help you explain this better during an interview.
28. What is the difference between paging and segmentation?
Paging
Memory is divided into fixed-size pages and frames.
Segmentation
Memory is organized into variable-sized logical segments based on the program's structure.
The two approaches differ in how memory is divided and managed.
29. What is SDLC?
SDLC stands for Software Development Life Cycle.
It describes the stages involved in developing and maintaining software.
A typical process may include:
- Requirement analysis
- Planning
- Design
- Development
- Testing
- Deployment
- Maintenance
Different organizations may use different development methodologies and processes.
30. What is the difference between Agile and Waterfall?
Waterfall
A more sequential approach in which development progresses through defined stages.
Agile
An iterative approach that emphasizes smaller increments, feedback and adapting to changing requirements.
The best approach depends on the project's requirements, organization and constraints.
Part 4: Problem-Solving & Coding Questions
31. How would you detect a cycle in a linked list?
One common approach is Floyd's Cycle Detection Algorithm, also called the slow-and-fast pointer technique.
- Use one pointer that moves one node at a time.
- Use another pointer that moves two nodes at a time.
- If they meet, a cycle exists.
- If the faster pointer reaches the end, there is no cycle.
The common implementation uses O(n) time and O(1) additional space.
32. How would you check whether two strings are anagrams?
Two strings are anagrams when they contain the same characters with the same frequencies, assuming the same comparison rules.
One approach is:
- Normalize the strings if required.
- Count the frequency of each character.
- Compare the frequency counts.
Another approach is to sort both strings and compare the results.
The best approach depends on the constraints.
33. How do you find a missing number in an array?
Suppose an array contains distinct numbers from 1 through N with one number missing.
One simple mathematical approach is:
Expected sum = N × (N + 1) / 2
Then subtract the actual sum of the array from the expected sum.
Another approach is to use the XOR operation.
During an interview, explain the assumptions first.
34. What is recursion?
Recursion occurs when a function calls itself to solve smaller versions of the same problem.
A recursive solution normally requires:
- A base case
- A recursive case
Example in Java
public static int factorial(int n) { if (n <= 1) { return 1; } return n * factorial(n - 1); }
Here, the base case prevents the function from calling itself indefinitely.
35. How would you solve a problem involving two ropes that each burn for 60 minutes at a non-uniform rate?
This is a common logic puzzle.
To measure 45 minutes:
- Light both ends of Rope A.
- At the same time, light one end of Rope B.
- Rope A will finish burning in 30 minutes.
- At that moment, light the other end of Rope B.
- The remaining portion of Rope B will then burn from both ends and finish in 15 more minutes.
Total = 30 + 15 = 45 minutes.
The important idea is that the ropes burn at non-uniform rates, so you cannot assume that half the physical length represents half the burning time.
36. How can you find the heavier ball when one ball is heavier?
For a balance-scale puzzle, the exact strategy depends on the number of balls and the number of weighings allowed.
For example, with 8 balls and 2 weighings:
First weighing
Divide them into groups of 3, 3 and 2.
Weigh 3 against 3.
- If they balance, the heavier ball is among the remaining 2.
- If they don't balance, it is among the 3 on the heavier side.
Second weighing
If it is among 2:
Weigh one against the other.
If it is among 3:
Weigh one against another.
- If they balance, the third ball is heavier.
- Otherwise, the heavier side identifies the ball.
37. How would you approach a market-sizing or estimation question?
Interviewers may sometimes ask estimation questions to understand how you structure an unfamiliar problem.
The exact answer is often less important than your reasoning.
A good approach is:
- Clarify the question.
- Define the population or market.
- Make reasonable assumptions.
- Break the problem into smaller parts.
- Calculate step by step.
- Check whether the final estimate is reasonable.
- Clearly state that it is an estimate.
Example
Instead of trying to memorize the number of laptops sold in India, explain:
“I would first estimate the number of potential buyers, divide them into consumer and institutional segments, estimate replacement demand and then combine the estimates. I would clearly state that the result is a rough estimate rather than an exact market figure.”
38. Why are manhole covers usually circular?
There are several practical reasons.
A circular cover cannot fall straight through a circular opening of the same diameter because its width remains constant across its shape.
Circular covers are also convenient to handle because they can be rolled rather than carried.
The exact design of utility covers can vary depending on the application.
39. How would you solve a clock-angle question?
For clock problems, first determine the position of each hand.
For example, at 3:15:
- The minute hand is at 90°.
- The hour hand has moved beyond the 3 because 15 minutes have passed.
- The hour hand is at 97.5°.
- The difference is 7.5°.
The important concept is remembering that the hour hand moves continuously rather than jumping from one number to the next.
40. What is the difference between authentication and authorization?
Authentication
Authentication answers:
“Who are you?”
Examples:
- Password
- OTP
- Security key
- Biometric authentication
Authorization
Authorization answers:
“What are you allowed to access?”
For example, an authenticated employee may be allowed to view certain records while an administrator may have permission to modify them.
Part 5: Situational Questions & Questions to Ask the Interviewer
41. What would you do if you were assigned a task with an unrealistic deadline?
Don't immediately say that the deadline is impossible.
A better approach is:
- Understand the scope.
- Identify the highest-priority requirements.
- Estimate the work.
- Discuss constraints with the relevant person.
- Suggest options if the full scope cannot fit the deadline.
Example:
“I would first understand the exact requirements and identify which parts are essential. Then I would estimate the work involved and communicate any concerns early. If necessary, I would discuss whether the scope or deadline could be adjusted while keeping the most important requirements.”
42. How do you keep your technical skills updated?
You don't need to claim that you spend hours every day learning.
Mention methods you genuinely use.
For example:
- Official documentation
- Online courses
- Technical books
- Practice projects
- Coding platforms
- Developer communities
- Technical blogs
Example:
“I usually learn by combining documentation with hands-on practice. When I want to understand a technology, I first learn the fundamentals and then build a small project so that I can apply what I learned.”
43. What would you do if you found a critical bug in another developer's code?
Focus on the issue, not the person.
Example:
“I would first reproduce and understand the issue and assess its impact. I would then communicate the problem clearly to the relevant team member, share the evidence I found and work with them to determine the appropriate fix. The goal would be to resolve the issue rather than assign blame.”
44. How would you explain a complex technical concept to a non-technical person?
Start with the person's existing level of understanding.
Use a simple analogy when appropriate.
Example: API
You could compare an API to a waiter in a restaurant:
- The customer represents the application making a request.
- The waiter carries the request to the kitchen.
- The kitchen represents the system processing the request.
- The waiter brings the response back.
Then explain the actual technical concept after establishing the analogy.
45. What tools do you use for version control?
A fresher can mention Git if they have actually used it.
Example:
“I have used Git for version control in academic projects. I understand basic operations such as creating commits, working with branches, pushing changes and resolving simple merge conflicts.”
If you have used GitHub, you can also explain how you used it to store and collaborate on repositories.
Questions to Ask the Interviewer
Asking a thoughtful question at the end can help you understand the role better.
You don't need to ask all of these.
Choose one or two that are appropriate for the interview.
46. What does a typical day look like for someone in this role?
This helps you understand the actual responsibilities rather than relying only on the job description.
47. What technologies or tools does the team currently use?
This can help you understand the technical environment and identify areas worth learning.
48. What does the initial onboarding or training process look like?
This is particularly useful for freshers because training can vary significantly between organizations and roles.
49. How is performance evaluated for someone new to the team?
This can help you understand what the organization expects from new employees.
50. What is the next step in the recruitment process?
This is a practical question that helps you understand what happens after the interview.
You can also ask:
“Is there anything about my background or experience that you would like me to clarify?”
Use this only when it feels appropriate for the conversation.
How to Prepare for a Fresher Interview
Preparing answers to 50 questions is not enough.
You should also understand your own resume.
1. Know your resume
Be prepared to explain:
- Every project
- Every technology
- Every internship
- Every certification
- Every achievement
- Your academic background
If you have written something on your resume, assume the interviewer may ask about it.
2. Practice speaking, not memorizing
Write down key points rather than memorizing complete paragraphs.
Your answers should sound natural.
For example, instead of memorizing:
“My greatest strength is my structured approach to analytical problem solving…”
remember:
Strength → Problem solving → Example
Then explain it naturally.
3. Prepare your projects
For every important project, know:
- Why you built it
- What problem it solves
- Technologies used
- Your personal contribution
- Challenges faced
- How you tested it
- What you would improve
A project you can explain confidently can be more useful than a long list of technologies.
4. Revise technical fundamentals
For technical roles, revise the subjects relevant to the position.
Common areas include:
Programming
- Variables
- Loops
- Functions
- OOP
- Exception handling
- Data structures
Databases
- SQL
- Joins
- Keys
- Normalization
- Indexes
- Transactions
Computer Science
- Operating systems
- Computer networks
- DBMS
- Data structures
- Algorithms
Don't try to memorize every possible interview question.
Understand the fundamentals.
5. Practice explaining your thinking
Some interviewers care about how you approach a problem, not only whether you know the final answer.
When solving a coding or logical problem:
- Understand the question.
- State your assumptions.
- Explain your approach.
- Consider edge cases.
- Discuss complexity when relevant.
- Then write the solution.
This makes your reasoning easier to follow.
A Simple 7-Day Interview Preparation Plan
If you have an interview coming up soon, you can organize your preparation like this.
Day 1 — Resume
Review every section of your resume.
Day 2 — HR Questions
Practice:
- Tell me about yourself
- Strengths
- Weaknesses
- Why this company?
- Career goals
Day 3 — Projects
Prepare explanations for your two or three strongest projects.
Day 4 — Technical Fundamentals
Revise the subjects most relevant to your target role.
Day 5 — Coding & Problem Solving
Practice basic coding problems and explain your approach aloud.
Day 6 — Mock Interview
Ask a friend or family member to conduct a mock interview.
Day 7 — Final Review
Review:
- Resume
- Job description
- Company information
- Technical concepts
- Interview logistics
Don't spend the final day trying to learn everything from scratch.
What Freshers Should Avoid During Interviews
Don't memorize internet answers
Interviewers may notice when an answer sounds rehearsed.
Don't claim skills you don't have
You may receive follow-up questions.
Don't exaggerate project results
Only mention genuine achievements.
Don't speak negatively about previous teammates
Even academic teamwork can be discussed professionally.
Don't interrupt the interviewer
Listen to the complete question before answering.
Don't pretend to know something
If you don't know, acknowledge it and explain what you do know.
For example:
“I haven't worked with that technology yet, but I understand the basic concept and would be interested in learning it.”
Don't rush every answer
A short pause to organize your thoughts is completely fine.
What If You Don't Know the Answer?
This is one of the most important skills for freshers.
You will not know everything.
If you don't know an answer, don't invent one.
You can say:
“I haven't worked with that concept directly yet. I know the basic idea, but I would need to study the details further.”
Or:
“I'm not completely sure about the answer. My understanding is…”
Then explain what you genuinely know.
Being honest is better than confidently giving an incorrect technical answer.
Final Interview Checklist for Freshers
Before the interview, check:
☐ I have read the job description carefully.
☐ I can explain everything written on my resume.
☐ I can explain my main projects clearly.
☐ I have revised the technical fundamentals relevant to the role.
☐ I have prepared a short introduction.
☐ I have practiced common HR questions.
☐ I have prepared genuine examples for behavioral questions.
☐ I know the company's basic business or product information.
☐ I have prepared one or two questions to ask the interviewer.
☐ My interview device, internet connection and required documents are ready if the interview is online.
☐ I know the location and timing if the interview is in person.
Final Takeaway
A successful interview is not about memorizing the “perfect” answer.
For freshers, a better approach is to focus on five things:
Know Your Resume
Understand Your Fundamentals
Explain Your Projects
Communicate Clearly
Be Honest About What You Know
Use the 50 questions in this guide as a practice framework, not as a script.
Your answers should reflect your own education, projects, skills and experiences.
The more clearly you can explain what you have actually learned and built, the easier it becomes for an interviewer to understand your potential.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many interview questions should a fresher prepare?
There is no fixed number. Focus on common HR questions, behavioral situations, technical fundamentals and questions related to your resume and target role.
Should I memorize interview answers?
No. Understand the key points and practice explaining them naturally.
What if I don't have work experience?
Use genuine examples from academic projects, internships, competitions, volunteering, coursework or other relevant experiences.
What should I do if I don't know a technical answer?
Be honest. Explain what you know and, if appropriate, describe how you would learn or investigate the topic.
Should I use the STAR method for every question?
No. STAR is particularly useful for behavioral questions that ask about a specific past situation. It is not necessary for every technical or straightforward HR question.
What technical questions should freshers prepare?
Prepare the fundamentals related to the position. For software roles, common areas include programming, data structures, databases, operating systems and computer networks.
Should I ask questions at the end of an interview?
Yes, when the interviewer gives you an opportunity. Ask questions that help you understand the role, team, expectations or next steps.
How long should my answers be?
It depends on the question. Simple questions may need only a few sentences. Behavioral questions can take longer because you need to explain the situation and your actions.
Is there one perfect answer to an interview question?
No. A strong answer is relevant, clear, honest and supported by your own experience.
Important Note
This guide provides general interview preparation information for students, fresh graduates and early-career candidates.
Interview questions, selection methods and hiring processes vary between companies, roles and recruitment stages. Candidates should always follow the instructions provided by the employer and prepare according to the specific position they are applying for.
OffCampus Ready does not guarantee interviews, shortlisting, selection or employment.
Related Career Guide
Also Read:
How to Build an ATS-Friendly Resume for Off-Campus Jobs: Fresher Guide & Checklist
Social Plugin